Sex dating in leigh lancashire
Bernard Ganley, whose father Bert had played for Leigh, Huddersfield and Leeds, signed for Oldham, his only professional side, from the Spinners amateur club in his native Leigh – for whom he had mainly played scrum-half – in 1950.It was a relatively late start in the pro ranks, delayed by his serving four years in military intelligence in Austria after the War.
Resident and local Leigh-on-Sea blogger Jo Harrison said: “It’s such a wonderful town to live in.There are records of such sentences leading to suicides, both attempted and realised.Interestingly, it was the alleged suicide of Francis Archibald John Douglas (Viscount Drumlanrig) following a failed affair with Liberal politician Lord Rosebery that led his father, the 9th Marquess of Queensberry, to protect his younger son ‘Bosie’ from the alleged ‘corrupting influence’ of Oscar Wilde.The findings of my sample survey of men prosecuted for having sex with other men – more than 280,000 individual cases brought before the senior criminal courts of Assize and Quarter Session – have produced some starting results.Fewer than 313 such trials have been uncovered for the period from 1850 up to the outbreak of the First World War, which at first glance would appear to suggest a rate of fewer than five such prosecutions per year.Yet by 1903 the sentence dealt for buggery to coal miner William Bradly from Leigh, Lancashire, at the same court was just 15 months’ imprisonment.
But the fact still remains that men were being sent to prison for significant periods for the crime of having consensual sex with each other.
Ganley played in all Oldham's big games of the 1950s, including the hat-trick of Lancashire Cup final victories in 1956, 19.
In the 1957 final he contributed a rare try as well as his usual goals; that year the Roughyeds also won the end-of-season Championship, beating Hull in the final at Bradford, although it was and remains a source of frustration that Oldham's finest side never reached a Challenge Cup final at Wembley.
The schoolroom was in the Mechanics' Institute, and the first intake was 22 girls.
The school was renamed Bolton High School for Girls and moved to the Park Road site in 1891.
With almost 2,400 pupils, it is one of the largest independent day schools in the country.